Monthly Archives: June 2019

You are browsing the site archives by month.

Black Diamond AFL: Wyong Lakes Magpies kick seven second-half majors to run down Killarney Vale Bombers

POINTS: Killarney Vale’s Bryce Singleton (centre) kicked six goals. Picture: Dean OslandIt may not have been pretty, but Wyong Lakes coach Michael Tos didn’t seem to mind as Wyong Lakes recorded acome-form-behind victory against Killarney Vale at Don Small Oval on Saturday.
老域名出售

Inchillyand windy conditions, the Magpies 11.13 (79) overcame the Bombers 10.8 (68) after trailing by 16 points at half-time and now have a three-way share of fourth place on the Black Diamond AFL competition ladder.

The resultfollows 136 and 79 point losses for Wyong Lakes, who were promoted from second division this year, and Tos was pleased to be on the right side of the ledger again after opening the 2018 season with back-to-back triumphs.

Jack Hardman mark (45:35)“We’re thrilled with the result, no doubt about that,” Tos said.

“We had two big games coming into this, beaten convincingly by previous premier sides. So it was nice to get one up.”

Weather was a major factor in the outcome of the game, which hung in the balance for much of the fourth and final quarter, according to Tos.

“To be fairit was a scrappy day weather wise and that induced scrappy football,” he said.

“I’ve got a feeling it just suited us better than it did Killarney on the day.”

Jarred Cross kicked five majors for Wyong Lakes while Bryce Singleton managed six for the visiting Killarney Vale. Tos was most impressed with Magpies pairTim Hillman and Chris Koop-Folkes.

“Tim Hillman had a big say in the mater and Chris Koop-Folkes was also quite good for us,” Tos said.

“Everyone put their hand up and did their bit, but those two certainly stood out.”

Elsewhere in round six fixtures on Saturday and Warners Bay 16.11 (107) easily accounted for Nelson Bay 2.5 (17) at Dick Burwell Oval, Cardiff 20.28 (148) have maintained their unbeaten start to the 2018 season with a comfortablevictory over Lake Macquarie 3.4 (22) at Hillsborough Oval, Peter Van Dam booted four for Terrigal Avoca 15.22 (112) in an 82-point win against Gosford 4.6 (30) at Adcock Parkwhile Newcastle City 15.9 (99) defeated Singleton 2.5 (17) at No.1 Sportsground.

Maitland had the bye.

LADDER: Cardiff (100 per cent), Terrigal Avoca (83.33), Newcastle City (80), Warners Bay, Gosford, Wyong Lakes (60), Singleton (40), Nelson Bay (33.33), Maitland (20), Killarney Vale (16.67), Lake Macquarie (0).

Kangaroo left to die at NSW south coast caravan park after ‘machete attack’: wildlife carers

Wildlife carers are appealing for help to track down those believed responsible for an attack on a kangaroo at South Durras. Image has been censored.
老域名出售

Wildlife carers are traumatised after a juvenile kangaroo was found with horrificinjuries, they believe were deliberately inflicted,at a South Coast caravan park last week.

Wildlife carer Rae Harvey believed the young female roo appeared to have been attacked with a machete, suffering shocking facial injuries.

The roo was found atMurramarang Resort on Thursday, May 3, and WIRES Mid South Coast volunteer Janelle Renes said she had probably suffered for almost 24 hours.

Ms Renes believed an attackerhad sliced openthe kangaroo’s face and left her to suffer until resort staff found her. She said the incident was the worst she had encountered.

“She was lying there and just the look on her face and the damage;she basically had her face sliced openand her snout and teeth were missing,” Ms Renes told theBay Post/Moruya Examiner.

“It was horrendous. I tried to get closeto her so Icould consoleher;Ijust sat with her until police arrived, to keep everyone away.”

Police hadno option but to euthanise the animal. Ms Renes said the incident was traumaticfor all involved.

“My first reaction was to burst into tears,” she said.

“It took me a while to stop feeling sick in the stomach and come to terms with it.

“This kangaroobasically trusted humans and got close enough for a human to inflict that intentional pain and suffering –it’sinconceivable.”

Ms Harvey, of charity Wild 2 Free, said the incident was a disgrace.

She said the suspected attack was a horrific consequence of people feeding wildlife and earning their trust.

“Because she lived in a caravan park, she trusted humans, otherwise she would’ve ran a mile,” Ms Harvey said.

Ms Harvey said she witnessed the consequences of people feeding wildlife in her daily work caring for injured and orphaned kangaroos.

“At the moment I have three joeys in care from caravan parks whose mothers have died from being fed incorrect food,” she said.

Also inher care is a 15kg male kangaroo who requiresextensive rehabilitation after being raised by members of the public.

She said the kangaroo from last week’s incident, known as Janey,was only 15 monthsold and still dependent on her mother.

Police said the incident was being investigated and officers were working to determine if the injuries were deliberate.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Batemans Bay Police on 4472 0099.

Batemans Bay Post

Israeli destroys tunnel, shuts Gaza border

Palestinian protesters have been injured on the border between Israel and Gaza Strip.The Israeli army has destroyed an 800-metre-long Hamas tunnel near the border with the Gaza Strip, as tensions in the area remain high amid ongoing Palestinian protests.
老域名出售

Israel also closed a main border crossing with the Gaza Strip on Saturday, a day after renewed violence between Palestinian protesters and Israeli forces on the edge of the coastal enclave.

No casualties were reported in Palestinian or Israeli media, though the Palestinian news agency Wafa said the attacks caused the area in northern Gaza to catch fire, causing damage to surrounding homes.

According to Israeli army spokesman Jonathan Conricus, the tunnel, the ninth destroyed since October, did not enter Israel but was near the Erez border crossing between Israel and Gaza.

The Erez crossing was closed, with the Israeli army saying it would remain shut until damage caused by protests on Friday were repaired and in accordance with “a situation assessment”.

Israel has said that the Hamas movement, which controls Gaza, is attempting to carry out attacks on the border fence and ultimately on Israeli border communities.

Friday marked the seventh week of protests in Gaza, in which demonstrators are demanding the right for Palestinian refugees of the 1948 regional war to return to their homes in what is now Israel.

At least 55 Palestinians have been killed in the protests over the past weeks, including a 15-year-old boy who died from injuries he sustained Friday, the Palestinian Health Ministry said on Saturday.

Some 1900 Palestinians have also been injured by Israeli fire.

The protests are set to culminate on May 14 and 15, when Palestinians mourn the anniversary of Israel’s creation.

Veterans remember Battle of Coral-Balmoral

The Battle of Coral-Balmoral was a series of fierce attacks fought in Vietnam 50 years ago this May.As the sun set over south Vietnam, n soldiers settled into their hastily dug, muddy fighting positions, unaware that an overwhelming attack by North Vietnamese Army soldiers was imminent.
老域名出售

Some felt uneasy. Their commanders had been briefed about a strong enemy presence. Official historian Ashley Ekins says afterwards they reported feeling a sense of foreboding.

“You won’t need to find Charlie. They’ll come looking for you,” warned one American officer.

And they did, opening their attack about 3.30am with an intense barrage of rocket and mortar fire and following with waves of infantry, over-running some artillery and mortar positions.

“It was vicious. It was the worst kind of night time assault, in the dark, tracer from automatic weapons streaming in, together with rocket-propelled grenades. It would have been terrifying,” Ekins said.

Eleven n soldiers died, most from the overwhelmed mortar platoon, while 28 were wounded before the attack was beaten back.

So opened the Battle of Coral-Balmoral, an almost continuous series of fierce attacks fought over 26 days from May 13 to June 6, 1968, 50 years ago.

These were by far the largest battles n forces participated in during their decade-long involvement in Vietnam, although they have mostly been over-shadowed by the better known Battle of Long Tan almost two years earlier.

Long Tan involved 108 ns, with more in support, in a fight for their lives against a combined force of up to 2500 North Vietnamese and Viet Cong. Eighteen ns died and 24 were wounded.

Coral-Balmoral involved many more on both sides – 3000 or more ns, with 26 killed, and hundreds of enemy dead. Among the n wounded was Second Lieutenant Tim Fischer, later deputy prime minister.

That year, 1968, was a watershed in the Vietnam War. On January 30-31, North Vietnamese and Viet Cong forces launched the Tet offensive, attacking throughout South Vietnam.

Phase 2 of that offensive, later called mini-Tet, ran from April 29 to May 30. The US asked to establish a fire support base on a likely North Vietnamese withdrawal route about 40km north of Saigon.

A fire support base (FSB) was a temporary artillery position set up to support operations beyond artillery range of established bases. Using the great tactical innovation of the Vietnam War, the helicopter, these could be established in hours.

For the First n Task Force (1ATF), this was to be a different kind of war, well away from their familiar operational area in Phuoc Tuy province. Up until then, ‘s war had been one of counter-insurgency, involving patrols, ambushes and some deliberate attacks on enemy positions.

Ekins said they were now heading into the big league. Coral was placed right on the North Vietnamese Army exit routes from Saigon and they were certain to respond.

FSB Coral was set up on May 12 with the insertion of two infantry battalions, 1RAR and 3RAR, plus 102 Field Battery and 161 New Zealand Field Battery and other support units.

Their arrival was protracted and confused. There weren’t enough helicopters for a speedy lift. The artillery arrived before their defending infantry. Soldiers dug shallow scrapes, which filled with mud in the evening downpour. There was no wire for perimeter defences.

Ekins said the enemy was watching and concluded the n position was vulnerable.

Their initial attack might easily have overrun the base but was eventually beaten off by a combination of stolid defence, air support by US gunships and aircraft and n artillery.

As the sun rose, 52 enemy dead lay strewn inside and outside the perimeter.

A second attack followed on May 15-16, again beaten off by massed infantry and artillery fire from stronger defensive positions, plus some American gunners.

It was decided to redeploy 3RAR to set up another position, called FSB Balmoral, about 4.5km north of Coral.

North Vietnamese forces attacked Balmoral in the early hours of May 26.

This time defences were more formidable, reinforced by n Centurion tanks, which had made the long road trip from the main n base at Nui Dat.

The Centurions arrived two days before the attack and helped to repel the enemy assault. The same occurred in a second attack on Balmoral on May 27-28.

Far from content to sit in their bases waiting to be attacked, n units launched offensive patrols against enemy forces and their nearby bunker positions.

With enemy contacts diminishing, the n units returned to Nui Dat on June 6, closing down base defences and handing over the area of operations to the US Army’s 1st Division.

Fifty years on, many veterans of what were the largest and most sustained action of ‘s war in Vietnam will be in Canberra to remember.

A national service will be held on Sunday, May 13 at the n Vietnam Forces National Memorial in Canberra.

The n War Memorial’s Last Post Ceremony at dusk on May 13 will commemorate the life of Corporal Robert Hickey of 1RAR and all those killed at and around FSB Coral.

The Last Post Ceremony on May 26 commemorates Private Lindsay Brown of 3RAR and those killed around FSB Balmoral.

Novice green thumb Steve Fritz smashes giant pump-kings at Ekka’s Giant Pumpkin Competition

Tyler ( left), Jackson (Centre) and Steve Fritz (right) and the winning Giant Pumpkin.The rivalry is still friendly but a rookie giant pumpkin grower has turned the tables on the established champions to win a coveted prize.
老域名出售

Steven Fritz–and his 206kg pumpkin–wonthe Royal Queensland Show’s (Ekka) Giant Pumpkin Competition from four-time winners,Geoff and Tony Frohloff.

But the twist in the tale was revealed when Steven, from Marburg, thanked his neighbours for their advice.

The Frohloff family – Jordan, Riley, Tony, Dylan and Geoff – and their ribbons.

“I live near the Frohloff family and they’ve actually been giving me lots of tips and advice – they probably gave me too much advice, but thank you to them,” he said.

Tony Frohloff claimed second place with a 140kg whopper while dad claimed third with hispumpkin weighing 135.5kg.

“It’s my first time growing anything for a competition so I didn’t expect my pumpkin to get so big,” Mr Fritz explained.

“I think the good soil in the Marburg area helped and also lots of water and fertilisers.”

The news wasn’t all bad for the Frohloffs.Geoffstill holds the 261.5kg Ekka record for the Heaviest Pumpkin of Show, whileTony’s son Jordan wonthe Youth Class with his 61.5kg pumpkin.

In the school competition, Bullyard State School near Bundaberg came out on top with their pumpkin tipping the scales at 40kg, beating St Patricks College in Shorncliffe, with their entry weighing 8.5kg.

Novice green thumb smashes giant pump-kingshttps://nnimgt-a.akamaihd成都夜场招聘/transform/v1/crop/frm/GJZ5TVpAk84wrTzsQfLQRB/f9270349-0455-4f23-b3b7-7813cbcb6806.JPG/r19_152_4789_2847_w1200_h678_fmax.jpgIt’s a pumpkin that weighs the same as an average bottle-nosed dolphin.news, national, 2018-05-13T10:58:00+10:00https://players.brightcove成都夜场招聘/3879528182001/default_default/index.html?videoId=5784109233001https://players.brightcove成都夜场招聘/3879528182001/default_default/index.html?videoId=5784109233001RNA Chief Executive Brendan Christou said the giant pumpkin competition dates back to the very first show in 1876.

“This is one of our most iconic agricultural competitions, recognising and rewarding growers for producing the best of the best,” he said.

Some of the giant pumpkins will return to the Brisbane Showgrounds in August, to be displayed in the Agricultural Education Hall during Ekka.

The giant pumpkin competition signals the official countdown to Ekka, which is now just 90 days away.

The results of the competition,presented by Pillow Talk, were:

Class 1 – Open:1st Steven Fritz – 206kg2nd Tony Frohloff – 140kg3rd Geoff Frohloff – 135.5kgClass 2 – School:1st Bullyard State School – 40kg2nd St Patricks College – 8.5kg3rd Bowenville State School – 8kgClass 3 – Youth:1st Jordan Frohloff – 61.5kg2nd Dylan Frohloff – 36.5kg3rd Riley Frohloff – 24.5kg Erica Cook, from Bullyard State School, with the 1st place pumpkin in the schools class.