Tas wild weather eases, clean-up begins

Hobart is mopping up from its wettest day since 1960, which turned streets into fast-flowing rivers and cut power to thousands of homes.

Four people had to be rescued from floodwaters during Friday’s deluge, while the State Emergency Service received hundreds of calls for help.

Hobart recorded 129mm in 24 hours to Friday morning, Mt Wellington 236mm, and South Hobart and Kingston 179mm.

Meanwhile, 226mm fell at Leslie Vale, 160mm at Grove and 188mm at Lachlan.

The deluge trapped a 15-year-old boy at a New Norfolk cricket ground before he was winched to safety.

A security guard at the University of Tasmania’s Sandy Bay campus had to be rescued from a windowless room was which quickly filling with water.

And two people were pulled from their car after trying to drive through floodwaters at New Town.

Hobart’s wettest day in nearly 60 years turned streets into fast-flowing rivers, as water surged into homes and businesses and left cars afloat.

The Sandy Bay campus was forced to close alongside 15 beds at the Royal Hobart Hospital, which were reopened by Saturday afternoon.

Energy provider TasNetworks said 15,000 homes lost power, with more than 400 of those still in the dark a day later.

The damage has been declared a catastrophe by the Insurance Council of , while RACT expects the cost among its customers to exceed $1 million.

A flood watch remains in place for the eastern half of Tasmania, as well as flood warnings for the the North Esk, Derwent, Huon and Coal rivers.

Premier Will Hodgman, and Fire and Emergency Management Minister Michael Ferguson praised the work of first responders.

“As the clean-up continues, I urge all members of the community to remember this is not a time for sight-seeing,” their statement read.

“The wild weather conditions and flood waters present real risks for the public at this time due to unstable building materials and contaminated flood waters.”

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation