At least nine dead in Afghan attack

At least nine people have been killed in an attack on an Afghan government building in Jalalabad.At least nine people have been killed in an attack on a government building in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad, officials said.
老域名购买

At least 36 others were injured in the attack on the provincial revenue department of Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province on Sunday, and have been transferred to city hospitals, said Inamullah Miakhel, a spokesman for the provincial health department.

The attack was launched when a suicide bomber set off an explosive-laden vehicle near the entrance of the department, said Attaullah Khugyani, a spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor.

A number of other assailants then stormed the government facility, Khugyani said.

Fighting between the assailants and Afghan security forces is ongoing and one attacker has been killed, he said.

Sohrab Qaderi, a provincial council member, said an Afghan policemen, an intelligence agency member and a border policemen were among the dead.

He added that 39 others had been injured in the incident, a slightly higher number than reported by the provincial health department.

Qaderi’s account of the attack also varied from Khugyani’s. According to Qaderi, a suicide bomber set off his explosive vest in front of the government facility, after which four assailants attacked the building.

At least two explosion were heard from inside the building, but it was unclear what type of explosions they were, Qaderi said.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

Escalating militant attacks in Afghanistan have left 763 people dead and injured 1,495 others between January and March of this year, according to the quarterly UN civilian casualty report released in April.

An Islamic State attack on the Save the Children office in Jalalabad on January 24 left six people, including four staff members, dead and 25 others injured.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation